Bruce M. Bender concentrates in complex civil litigation in the areas of medical malpractice, personal injury, workers’ compensation and employment law. He has been noted for successfully litigating a complex defamation case and receiving a significant judgment for the client, that was affirmed on appeal. He has also successfully received numerous large settlements and verdicts on behalf of individuals in medical malpractice, personal injury and workers’ compensation matters.
Mr. Bender has a number of published appellate opinions establishing precedents in the areas of defamation law, accounting malpractice, workers’ compensation negligence and employment law in State Courts in Maryland, D.C., Virginia and federal courts.
Bruce M. Bender is a member of the Maryland Association for Justice, Montgomery County Bar Association, Montgomery County Inns of Court, and National Employment Lawyers Association.
Mr. Bender has been voted
- Best Trial Lawyer consistently for the last six years
- Super Lawyer in the area of workers’ compensation law in Maryland and DC consistently the past ten years
- Co-Trial Lawyer for the year by the Maryland Association for Justice in 2012
Graduating from the University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) with a double degree in Economics (with distinction) and Ecology in 1979, Mr. Bender received his Juris Doctor from the Washington College of Law at American University in 1983.
Mr. Bender is a member of the Maryland and District of Columbia Bar Associations and has been admitted to practice in the state courts of Maryland and Illinois and the Court of Appeals of the District of Columbia, and all local and federal courts including the U.S. Supreme Court.
He has handled over 60 appeals in the State and Federal Courts.
Bruce M. Bender Achievements in 2011 through 2016
In 2011 through 2016, Bruce M. Bender has tried and settled many cases whereby many of my client have been compensated greater than $500,000.00. Just recently Bruce M. Bender was successful in handling two cases that resulted in a verdict and settlement over one million dollars in each case.
- Mr. Bender represented Mr. Rajindra Heralal in the case of Heralal v. Grand Hyatt in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. Mr. Heralal suffered severe injuries including five surgeries after receiving an electric shock while working for a subcontractor at the Grand Hyatt hotel in Washington, D.C. He alleged that Hyatt violated OSHA regulations by failing to shut off the electricity in the hotel in the area he was working in installing a motor for a revolving door. After a two week trial and about ten hours of jury deliberations, the jury awarded him a verdict in the amount of $1,050,000.00. Prior to an appeal, the parties settled the matter. (For further confirmation see attached copy of Metro Verdicts Monthly).
- Mr. Bender also represented a Plaintiff in her claim against Elcon Elevator company for negligence as a result of tripping and falling in an unlevel elevator at Georgetown University. Mr. Bender’s client alleged that Elcon failed to properly maintain their elevators. Prior to a trial, the parties reached a settlement of $1,175,000.00 before trial.
- Bruce M. Bender was awarded the Trial Lawyer of the Year Award by the Maryland Association for Justice because of his victory in the case of Poole v. Coakley & Williams Construction, et. al., 423 Md. 92 (2011). Poole clarified the law in Maryland that in order for a Plaintiff to be found to have assumed the risk, the Plaintiff must have actual knowledge of a known risk and not just constructive knowledge of said risk.
- In 2013, Mr. Bender represented a Plaintiff in a claim against a contractor who manufactured and supplied animal cages that fell on the Plaintiff causing him severe injury. After litigation, the matter was resolved for a total settlement of $650,000.00
- In 2014, Mr. Bender represented a Plaintiff in a medical malpractice action against a hospital relating to improper surgery. The matter was resolved for a settlement of $850,000.00
- In 2015, Mr. Bender represented a Plaintiff in a medical malpractice claim against a hospital relating to a fall in said hospital. The matter was resolved for a settlement of $290,000.00
- In 2015 and 2016, Mr. Bender represented a Plaintiff and family in a medical malpractice/wrongful death matter against a hospital relating to the death of a mother in childbirth. The matter was resolved for a settlement of $1,400,000.00.
- In 2015 and 2016, Mr. Bender represented a Plaintiff and family in a medical malpractice/wrongful death matter against a hospital and doctor relating to the death of a husband and father because of an alleged overdose of medication prescribed. The matter was resolved for a settlement of $925,000.00
- In 2016, Mr. Bender represented a Plaintiff in a medical malpractice matter against doctors relating to improper surgery. The matter was resolved for a settlement of $375,000.00