Family law issues involve some of the most significant events in life — marriage, children, family changes and conflicts, divorce, aging, and death. Many people will have to deal with an aspect of family law at some point, and securing the assistance of a knowledgeable and compassionate family law attorney can make a major difference in the outcome.
Family law problems are often complicated, and it's not unusual for the legal issues to have a serious emotional component. In addition, individuals with family law cases may be faced with decisions that will have a tremendous effect on their lives. Uncertainty and anxiety about the future are frequent aspects of family law cases.
The Spectrum of Family Law
There is a broad range of family law problems, and everyone's circumstances are unique. Some of the most common categories of family law are:
- premarital agreements
- cohabitation relationships
- adoption and guardianship
- domestic violence
- child abuse and neglect
- legal separation
- child custody arrangements and modifications
- child support and modifications
- tracing and characterizing community property and separate property
- division of assets and debts in a divorce
- spousal support and vocational issues
- post-divorce settlement modification
- powers of attorney
The most frequent type of family law case is divorce, an unfortunately common phenomenon. Whether an individual has been served with divorce papers, is seeking the divorce him- or herself, or is simply in need of answers about what a divorce may bring, it's crucial to have skilled and experienced legal counsel. A family law attorney protects the rights and interests of a client, and provides detailed answers to common concerns such as:
- What will happen to our home in a divorce?
- What about our other significant assets, and our debts?
- I haven't worked outside our home for many years. Will I be eligible for spousal support?
- How will we handle the custody of our children?
- My spouse (or I) had an extramarital affair/history of abusive behavior/drug or alcohol problem; how will this affect our children’s custody?
- Where will our children live after our divorce?
- I think my spouse is hiding some business assets in anticipation of a divorce. What can I do?
For every family law issue, it's often best to seek a resolution by mediation or arbitration first rather than litigation (court). The cost — both financial and emotional — will be less when the litigation is kept to a minimum.
Taking the First Step
No matter what the circumstances of an individual's divorce or other family law problem, contacting a law firm with a well-established family law practice is the appropriate first step to take.
To schedule a private, completely confidential discussion of your circumstances, contact us today.
Why Choose Our Firm
- Proudly provided services to the Washington Metropolitan Area for over 35 years with a combined attorney experience of 100 years.
- Full-service firm that specializes in Personal Injury, Workmen's Compensation, Family Law, Wills and Estate Planning, Criminal Law, etc.
- Our attorneys have earned a caring reputation for advising and representing a diverse client base throughout DC, MD and VA.
- We provide quality representation for a fair and reasonable fee – we will work with you!